Frequently Asked Questions
You ask, we deliver. Here are answers to the frequently asked questions about Kairos Media. Some of this is pretty technical stuff, but if you're here, you probably want technical stuff, eh? Contact us with any questions.
- Q: What's a good standard format to use when I'm exporting from my video editing program?
- Answer: Our current format is as follows: Video is encoded using AVC (Advanced Video Codec) according to the Baseline Level 3 profile, at 700kbps variable bitrate. The framerate can be 30fps maximum, but we match the framerate of what you upload to us (we don't increase framerate if you upload us a 15fps video). We use resolution maximums of 640x480 in the 4:3 aspect ratio and 640x360 in the 16:9 "widescreen" ratio (if your uploaded video is smaller, we don't increase the resolution). Audio is encoded using AAC (Advanced Audio Codec) at 128kbps variable bitrate, stereo 44.1kHz.
- Q: Is there a size limit?
- Answer: I'm sure there is a limit, but we haven't crashed our server yet trying. Anything close to 1GB is going to get ugly, like, you'll be waiting a loooooong time for it to upload. If you pay attention to the encoding settings, you should be able to send us something close to what we're going to use on the site anyway. For example, if you have a 1/2-hour video, it should be about 180MB.
- Q: What about time? How long can my videos be?
- Answer: There is no time limit. Right now, Kairos-media is being quite generous. If you have an epic that you want to share, just send it our way! This may change in the future!
- Q: Is there any way to control the thumbnail picture for a video I uploaded?
- Answer: Nope, but let us know if the default thumbnail (taken automatically from the middle of the video) is just a black frame, and we'll grab a new one by hand.
- Q: Is there any restriction to file type?
- Answer: Not really, though our upload form automatically filters to this list: mp3, aa3, aac, aif, wav, m4a, mid, midi, mpa, ogg, ra, wma, mp4, mov, 3g2, asf, asx, avi, divx, flv, m4v, mpeg, mpg, ogm, qt, rm, wmv, m2ts.
- Q: How can I get more people to watch my video?
- Answer: We think that sharing it as a link on your Facebook is probably the best way. You can "tag" people when you paste the video link onto your Facebook wall by hitting the @ sign and then typing their name.
- Q: Your video will not play on my portable device! What's up?
- Answer: We changed formats in late January, 2011 to support most mobile devices, so videos older than that probably won't work on most devices. Also, you might need to hit refresh on a video page to get it to work on your mobile device (we've seen that happen on an iPod Touch 2nd generation before).
- Q: How can I embed a video on my website?
- Answer: Ok, ok, this is really secret stuff, but here's the code:
<embed allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="343" src="http://kairos-media.org/scripts/flash/jw/player-licensed.swf?file=http://d5yh0jfw23xes.cloudfront.net/YOURVIDEO.mp4&image=http://kairos-media.org/c/video/thm/YOURVIDEO.jpg&backcolor=#ccddcc&logo.file=http://kairos-media.org/images/kairosmediasm.png&logo.link=http://kairos-media.org/?view/video/YOURVIDEO&logo.hide=false&logo.position=bottom-right"></embed>
For 16:9 "widescreen" videos, use width 640 and height 386. (or any combo of 16:9 aspect ratio, plus 26 pixels on the height to account for the video controls) For 4:3 videos, use width 425 and height 343 (or any combo of 4:3 aspect ratio, plus 26 pixels on the height to account for the video controls).
Remember to replace YOURVIDEO with the short gibberish at the end of your video page link (i.e. v61xyL0t).
Also note: We may change certain site settings at any time which could break your embedded videos. Stand-by for a slicker way to embed!